Preparing for a job interview for a SEO position can be a bit of guessing game. As one of the top recruitment agencies for digital marketing in South Africa however, we keep a record of the most popular interview questions asked in interviews.
In terms of soft traits required in the online marketing and SEO arena, a winning mind set is crucial, a good SEO professional thrives in a competitive environment and gets a kick out of competitor analysis. While you don’t have to be the king or queen of charisma, SEO professionals are usually part of a bigger team, so social skills are absolutely crucial too. But let’s have a look at the questions interviewers may ask to test your SEO knowledge.
- What Search engine optimization software could you not live without and why?
- Can you tell me about one SEO problem you had to deal with and how you fixed it?
- How would you improve the SEO of website “xy”
- How would you quickly assess which websites are useful for link building and which ones aren’t?
- Does page rank actually matter?
- What is the Google Sandbox?
- What is a canonicalization issue and how would you solve it?
- What do you do with a .htacess file?
- What is search engine saturation?
- Which online marketing blogs do you use to stay up to date?
- How do organically attract backlinks?
- What SEO strategy would you suggest for a website affected by Penguin update?
- What do you know about black hat SEO?
- What would you do with a toxic link?
- Name two possible reasons why sessions are fluctuating (interviewer might present you with a google analytics export).
- Name two possible reasons for a high bounce rate (interviewer might present you with a google analytics export).
While this is not a complete list, it should give you an indication what South African employers are looking for in a SEO professional.
Researchig those questions will not only empower you to impress your interviewer, you will also feel more prepared and calmer as a result. If you have encountered any other interesting SEO interview questions, that took you completely by surprise, please let us know.